Sunday 5 April 2015

Rain - Virginia Bergin

It rains a lot in England.

You don't think about it. It's a common occurrance right.

What would you do if something that is so common became a danger?  One so dangerous that it actually killed. What if the rain could kill you?  Just one drop.



Rain by Virginia Bergin is just about that. Just one drop of rain will kill you. Something so common has become a killer. No more water to drink, to wash with.

Set in England, the story revolves around our main character Ruby. A fifteen year old girl who is trying to survive in a world where everyone she loves is dead.  Along the way, she meets a young girl and a boy called Darius. A nerd. A boy not cool enough for Ruby. A boy that might just be the last boy on the planet.

The whole premise of this book was quite different. Something that happens nearly every day becoming a killer. It made you think. How would we survive?  Would you want to?  How could you survive with no water?  It's something we all take for granted.

I had one major problem with this book and that was the main character Ruby. I just didn't like her. I found her extremely irritating. I wanted her to be likeable. I wanted to feel for her. The more I read, the more I wished she had just gone out in the rain.

I hated the way she treated Darius. How she spoke to him. For being a nerd, for not being as cool as she thought she was.

Saying all of that, I actually really enjoyed this book. I found it very interesting. I found the whole plot gripping. It really was a page turner.

The next book and final book Storm continues with Ruby's story and from reviews I've read do make you like her a bit more.

I'm definitely going to pick it up soon

Goldie 
xx


No comments:

Post a Comment